Inspired Learners. Proud Contributors.
In 1882 when the first school on Waiheke Island opened in a room of the Gordon’s house in Te Matuku Valley, it was attended by children up to the age of sixteen. Enrolments at Te Huruhi Native School, founded in 1911, included students of seventeen and eighteen. There was no provision of secondary schooling on the island until 1954.
In 1948, when the regular daily workers’ boat began in Surfdale, some students commuted to Auckland schools, giving them a 14 hour school day. This unsatisfactory situation worsened when it was revealed in 1953 that some of the school boy were playing poker, and drinking below decks. Pressure mounted for the provision of secondary schooling on the island. After a public meeting on March 20th 1953 of almost 100 parents with Mr Mountford of the Education Board, Waiheke District High School became a reality.
Waiheke High School is the only island High School in New Zealand.
Roll Total: 447
International roll: 15