Professional Skills for Primary Industries
The purpose of this qualification is to provide primary industry workplaces with individuals who can safely and effectively carry out operational activities which involve vehicles, machinery and infrastructure.
Career Opportunities and Outcomes
On successful completion of this qualification you can pursue employment as:
- Bee keeper, heavy transport operator, shepherd, orchard harvester, machinery operator, farm assistant, seasonal worker, pack house worker, general hand or in other similar roles in rural-based workplaces.
- NCEA Level 1; or
- A qualification at Level 1 or above, with evidence of Literacy and Numeracy abilities equivalent to NCEA (Level 1); or
- Evidence of relevant knowledge and experience, including Literacy and Numeracy abilities equivalent to NCEA Level 1.
In the latter two situations you may be required to participate in an enrolment interview with the purpose of verifying the evidence.
The NZ Certificate in Primary Industry Operational Skills (with optional strands in Specialist Equipment and Infrastructure) [Level 3] aims to provide you with the ability to safely and effectively carry out a range of operational activities which involve vehicles, machinery, and infrastructure.
Upon graduating you will benefit by having a qualification within a training pathway that recognises progression through the industry and enables improved job performance.
Primary industry workplaces will benefit by having staff with the skills to safely and effectively complete operational activities relevant to vehicles, machinery and infrastructure.
This qualification is for those from a wide range of primary industry workplaces who want to develop a range of competencies that contribute to the safe and effective operation of a primary industry workplace.
Graduates of this qualification will be able to:
- Identify and assist with the management of workplace risks.
- Plan and carry out operational activities using mechanised equipment with consideration for environmental impacts.
- Manage personal wellbeing when carrying out primary industry operational activities.
Graduates of the Specialist Equipment strand will also be able to:
- Operate specialist equipment for primary industry operational activities.
Graduates of the Infrastructure strand will also be able to:
- Carry out activities related to the maintenance of workplace infrastructure.
On successful completion of the NZ Certificate in Primary Industry Operational Skills (with optional strands in Specialist Equipment and Infrastructure) [Level 3] you may choose to continue with your studies by enrolling in the following:
- NZ Certificate in Agriculture (Farming Systems) [Level 3], NZ Certificate in Horticulture (Fruit Production) [Level 3], NZ Certificate in Land Based Sustainable Practices [Level 3], NZ Certificate in Horticulture (General) [Level 3] or NZ Certificate in Commercial Road Transport (Heavy Vehicle Operator) [Level 3].
Academic Learning Services
Academic Learning Services is here to assist you on your journey towards the successful completion of your studies at EIT. Our aim is for you to become confident, competent and independent learners.
We have dedicated advisors who can assist with your learning.
Find out more:
Hawke’s Bay Campus